Tuesday 24 September 2013

Hiatus




Recently, I have been 100% away from my computer as my busy work and play schedule filled up. For that, I apologise. My life has currently been flipped upside down, where both wondrous and not-so-wondrous things have happened. Within the past few months I have had the stresses of finding yet ANOTHER flat (well, bedsit), and the pleasures of meeting new people, including some particularly lovely ones who I hope to see more of. I've also been through an operation, and tried to get as many working hours as I could so I could keep afloat. HOWEVER, I have indulged myself in good company, and some fantastic food, drink and fun around Kent and I have plenty stocked up this autumn, my favourite of months, to share with you. Watch this space.

In the mean time, here are some pictures, and a series of 'mini-reviews' of what has occupied some of the cooler times this hotter than hot of summers. Enjoy.

       

  Art Installed in Margate Train Station

Art has started to become an integral thing in Margate, with the number of galleries rising, particularly after the opening of the Turner Centre. Margate is becoming an Art Town, and it was a real delight to see these little installations brightening up the spacious train station for new visitors. 


Margate Carnival

I'll admit, in the past couple of years I have been disappointed by Margate carnival. It felt like something was missing...the colour, the excitement and the hype. Instead, we were bombarded with leaflets and half-attempted floats. This year, however, the carnival 'zing' was back. It was bright, lively and filled with a variety of  colourful costumes and creative themes.

The tropical theme was addressed strongly, particularly due to a budget agreement from the arts council, and the fantastic return of the Notting Hill influence.

Let's hope next year sticks to the same agenda!





Vodka Slushies at Kiss Me Quick, Margate.

You should definitely check this place out. I consider Billy (the fantastic man behind this emporium) the only man to have listened to Mary Portas on her show Queen of the High Street, and trust me - it worked. His Emporium is a true homage to the seaside culture. Trinkets and sweets adorn the shelves and, for the more adult audience, there is even a saucy selection of sweet treats at the back of the shop (along with a mini bar) to tickle your fancy. This naughty but nice tongue-in-cheek memorabilia is all hidden behind a curtain, so little eyes are well protected! 

This is also a place where you can buy Tracey Emin's "For a dirty weekend, come to Margate" items, such as pillows, mugs and much more. She created the design especially for Kiss Me Quick, and it's the only place you can buy them, so make sure to pop in, or take a look online - Click me quick for kiss me quick!.


Theatre on the Sands

The Theatre Royal was taken over by what was Thanet Leisure Force, now names Your Leisure. At first I was tentative about what this might mean for the theatre, but after this fantastic performance of Shakespeare's Richard III on Margate Sands, I was convinced that my beloved theatre was in safe hands.

The idea was a simple one - everyone brings a blanket or hires a deck chair, and enjoys a classic play for free. The creativity of the set and the sheer willpower of the actors' voices against the blustery evening winds was admirable. However, the sound was an issue, with key lines being lost to the wind, or the volume of the background music which carried itself in the air much more than the vocals. Though it had its faults, there was no doubt that this idea brought many to Margate Seafront, and the overall performance was innovative and interesting, making for a good evening.





Again, I apologise for my long hiatus, but watch this space for some very exciting events that I'll be participating in, both in Derby and Margate.

No comments:

Post a Comment