Thursday 11 July 2013

Fine Dining At It's Best - Restaurant Zest.




When coming back to Derby, I am always on the lookout for new places to spend time with friends, and one such place on my agenda this time was Restaurant Zest. Tucked away in George Street, just off of Friar Gate, Restaurant Zest stands as a cosy, intimate restaurant that boasts relaxed fine dining at its best. The ceiling is somewhat rustic, with great wooden beams that seem to be from an old mill, and the walls share interesting and modern artworks (I failed to ask if it was local art or not). Nonetheless, the surroundings fill you with a relaxed, but quite 'posh' atmosphere. This can only be matched by the staff, who were fantastically courteous and extremely accommodating.

When arriving, we did encounter a mix up with our booking, but I cannot complain about this as the staff handled the matter fantastically, offering a bottle of sparkling wine on the house as an apology. We were seated and handed our menus, drinks poured for us and topped up whenever they passed. We barely lifted a finger.

We ordered from the July A La Carte Menu, a deliciously summery selection of dishes which ensured enough choice for you to hover and think hard before ordering. I chose the Summer Squash, Feta & Olive Salad to start, and was not disappointed. The problem with some restaurants is that they add far too much feta, which makes a salad a little too tangy for my liking. This, however, had feta crumbled in small chunks that was just enough for the mouth to handle. The onion and olives complimented the cheese beautifully and the portion was just enough to satisfy you before the main.

For my main, I selected the Courgette Fritters, Goats Cheese & Lentil Salad, Roasted Beetroot & Creme Fraiche. The mixture of tart goats cheese and sweet beetroot was gorgeous and the fritters were in such a light batter that there was no reason to feel guilty at all. There was minimal creme fraiche, but this may have been because I chose the BLF (Bottom Line Fitness) option for the dish. This is something else that Zest does very well; it is a healthier option to certain dishes on the menu so you can watch your health and still indulge. Nevertheless, the taste was not affected in the slightest.

Now this was the truly indulgent course of my meal - Dessert. I chose the Gooseberry & Elderflower 'Zest' Mess, Lemon & Lime Sorbet, which came in a tall glass. However, when it arrived I failed to see any gooseberry or elderflower in sight. Instead, I seemed to have been given the Strawberry Zest Mess from the Early Evening Menu. Without complaining, I ate. It was a delicious take on the typically British 'Eaton Mess', bursting with fruit and pieces of meringue, but with a tangy lemon-lime aftertaste from the refreshing addition of the sorbet.

Despite the two minor hiccups, I felt that Zest is an affordable and lasting experience that I highly recommend. It is also worth booking a Champagne Breakfast (something I have enjoyed before), which serves you a highly indulgent three-course breakfast and a glass of champagne. A truly wonderful restaurant hiding in a side street in Derby!

No comments:

Post a Comment