Monday 15 July 2013

Get some soul food - it's Irie Margate!





If there is one thing I enjoy about Thanet, it's the ability it has to present you with a wonderful variety of places to eat and drink, and the newest addition has to be one of my favourites. Irie has just opened on Margate Seafront and is a definite must if you like comforting, spicy, Caribbean soul food. The restaurant itself is filled with a variety of reggae-esque decor, not forgetting an image of the icon Bob Marley, and music fills the room to set a relaxed atmosphere. I certainly felt the summer during my visit!

The food itself took a while to arrive due to there being only one cook on the day, but the overall result was worth it. With a mixture of various meats and veggies prepared for you in wraps, fritters, rice and much more, there is certainly enough choice for everyone. With extra notice, Irie will also cater for special diets, so nobody is left out. For myself, I had a vegetarian wrap, a medley of various grilled vegetables, including sweet potato, tomato and peppers. This was  accompanied with a creamy coconut, and spicy chilli aftertaste. That alone was filling enough, and certainly was hot enough to have me sipping on my mango juice in regular intervals.

I decided to have a light dessert, and chose the exotic fruit salad - a mixture of delicious fruits in juice which was topped by a gorgeously light, melt-in-the-mouth coconut meringue. It was a wonderful way to finish the meal, though I have heard that their Rum Waffles with ice cream are something to be tasted!  If indulgence is something you enjoy, you should also try their 'festivals' - soft, doughy, deep fried balls rolled in sugar and cinnamon. They're incredibly moreish, but a little bit naughty! 

So, if you're looking for a relaxed atmosphere, reggae tunes, sunshine and friendly service on Margate's beautiful seafront this summer, then I would highly recommend Irie for a taste, sight and sound experience.






No comments:

Post a Comment